We are Looking for a General Manager
Thursday August 12, 2021
As explained in the 2020-2021 wrap-up newsletter, our club is moving to a paid general manager model like many other clubs of our size in the province. As the workload of maintaining a high level of service increases, we are finding that it is increasingly unreasonable to put all of this work on volunteers. Since this is a new position, it will evolve over time. Inititially, the General Manager will provide management support and assigned responsibilities within: Nordic Centre Operations, Grants and sponsorships, Membership recruitment, and Volunteer support.
Job Posting: Seasonal General Manager
The Bulkley Valley Cross Country Ski Club is seeking an enthusiastic, independent individual to join our team as our seasonal (Nov-Apr), full-time general manager.
Located in Smithers, British Columbia our club has been a part of the community for close to 40 years and our 1100 members enjoy over 50km of trails, a 4000 sqft day lodge, a wax cabin, biathlon range, social events, competitions, and a vibrant Nordic skills development program.
As general manager you will report to the director of Nordic centre operations and have the following responsibilities:
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the club including supervising grooming and facility maintenance.
- Maintain and develop relationships with community partners.
- Communicate with members and help recruit new members.
- Assist writing grant proposals and manage associated reporting requirements.
- Support and develop club volunteerism.
- Minimum three years work experience or combination of education and experience that involves administration, project management, supervision, coordination, or related work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient understanding of basic budgeting, financial tracking, use of spreadsheets, and reporting
- Demonstrated ability to plan projects, track their completion,and report.
- Demonstrated ability to develop proposals and write reports (e.g. for grants, projects, or policies)
- Experience supervising small groups (employees and/or volunteers)
- Experience with a volunteer-run non-profit organization
- Drivers licence and vehicle to access the worksite (Nordic Centre) in any weather.
- Flexibility in personal obligations to allow working at times that best meet the job’s demands, (e.g. some or most weekends)
- Experience with cross country skiing
Work Schedule And Compensation
The General Manager position is seasonal work. In consultation with the Director, the work season will typically start November 1 and finish by the end of April. Specific work times will be determined by the General Manager to address planned events, weather and issues.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications.
Download a more detailed job description here.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until September 13, 2021. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.