Adult / Masters
“Masters” is an adult age category, not a descriptor of skills!
This season there will be 3 options adults at Bulkley Valley Nordic:
- Masters Performance: (intermediate/advanced) for those who are looking for group ski workouts, to work towards competitive goals such as local races and Loppets, as well as improve their ski technique
- Masters Group Ski Lessons: (all skill levels) for those who wish to learn ski technique with less commitment than Masters Performance, typically Wednesday nights.
- Masters Biathlon: (all skill levels) 6 week coached introduction to the shooting aspects of the sport
The Masters Performance program was introduced for the first time last ski season (2021-22), and we are offering it again, big and better! It is focused on skiers who wish to train hard towards their performance goals – whether that is completing loppets, racing in Northern BC regional races or simply improving their fitness. It is geared towards athletes that have ski experience with all ski techniques (both classic and skate) but would like to continue to refine their technique as well as push themselves to do workouts on the ski trail as a group.
Programming and practices are lead by BV Nordic Head Coach, Andrew Brisbin.
Program capped at 16 registrants for 2022-23. Registration on the club's Zone4.ca page (open Oct. 1st, 2022)
Once the program is full, email: email@example.com to inquire about the waitlist.
$550 for ~6 weeks of dryland and ~16 weeks of programming
Oct. 12th, 2022 to March 23rd, 2023
For the 2022-23 season we are trying a few new things...
1. Fall Dryland - 1 practice per week: Wednesday evenings 6:00pm - 7:30pm
Starting Wed. October 12th, roughly 5 - 6 week season
Running, ski striding based work outs with a mix of technique, intensity, strength, core and agility.
The transition from Dryland to On Snow isn't 100% predictable but we'd hope to switch to our "On Snow" schedule the last week in November.
2. On Snow - 2 practices per week: Tuesday evenings* 6:30pm - 8:00pm
*New this year, Tuesdays will have a weekly timetrial (fun race) for athletes from all ADP programs (youth and Masters). Race start times will range between 6:30pm and 6:45pm, and Masters Performance instruction for the evening will begin once all skiers have finished their timetrial (~7:15pm - 8:00pm)
Thursday evenings 6:30pm - 8:00pm
The goal will be to have an even split between skate practices and classic practices throughout the on snow season.
3. 1-on-1 Technique Sessions: Throughout the winter there will be opportunities for skiers to sign up for a 1-on-1 half hour technique analysis timeslot, depending on the coach's availability each week. The same is being offered to our U14, U16 and U18 athletes in the youth programs. Masters can anticipate to book at least one 30 minute 1-on-1 session at some point between December and March
Wednesdays: 5pm - 6pm, 8:30pm-9pm weekly
occasional Fridays 5pm- 6pm
occasional Saturdays: 12:30pm - 2pm
Masters athletes can work towards racing locally (Tuesday Timetrials, Northern Cup race weekend in Smithers, Wetzin’’kwa Loppet), travel to various Northern Cups that BV Nordic is attending (Prince George, Burns Lake, Vanderhoof), or even compete against other BC Masters at Provincials in West Kelowna (March 3 – 5, 2023).
Other features of the programming:
- Wax clinic
- Technique Video Feedback
- Recommended Weekly Training Plan based on your race goals
- Access to Team Clothing purchase
- Track training on Training Peaks
- BV Nordic wax support at approved races (with a per-race wax fee)
A note on coaching availability for the Master Performance Program: out of the estimated 38 total sessions between the fall dryland and on snow seasons, the head coach will be absent for ~8 due to travelling for other club activities and time off.
The Masters Performance practices will also follow the club's -20C cold weather cancellation guidelines.
Masters Drop-in Group Ski Lessons
Sessions are for adults of any skill level and include coaching sessions for classic and skate technique. First time skiers can learn the basics while intermediate and advanced participants receive technique tips and coaching to keep improving.
Attend one session or attend them all!
Lessons are on Wednesdays at 7:00pm, from January 18th to February 22nd, 2023.
To sign up, email your technique (skate or classic) and your level (beginner or intermediate) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night on the week you want to attend. You will receive an email confirming that you have a spot in that week's lesson.
Cost is $10 per session. A valid trail pass is required for participation.
New for the 2022-23 season, BV Biathlon is offering a 6 week coached biathlon program. Visit BV Nordic Biathlon for more details.
Local CANSI Instructors can provide private lessons.
A list of local CANSI (Canadian Association of Nordic Ski Instructors) instructors is available at McBike Ski and Sport.