NOTE about skill development programs during the COVID-19 pandemic: Programs for 2020-2021 will be adapted to meet our Club's COVID-19 Safety Plan and relevant public health orders and guidance.
About The Ski S'Kool Program
Ski S'Kool Programs are a great way to introduce cross-country skiing to children in elementary schools. The main objectives of this program are:
- To introduce large numbers of children to cross-country skiing.
- To recruit young children to Jackrabbit, Track Attack and other club delivered junior development programs.
- To link elementary school cross country ski programs with community CCBC club programs.
- To encourage elementary schools to include cross country skiing as part of their curriculum.
The Bukley Valley Cross Country Ski Club has been running this school program for over fifteen years.
The Ski S'Kool Program is a learn-to-ski program for elementary school age children from Kindergarten to Grade 7.
Classes can be booked for skiing with lessons, skiing without lessons, and/or snowshoeing.
This is an inclusive program where all students are welcome and encouraged to participate to their own comfort level.
Our club has been able to supplement younger students (K - 4) with skis and boots to enable all students to participate.
Each year more than 30 classes from 7 different schools participate:
- Bulkley Valley Christian School
- Ecole la Grande Ourse
- Heartwood Learning Community
- Muheim Elementary
- St. Joseph’s Elementary
- Telkwa Elementary
- Walnut Park Elementary
Most classes ski at least twice with greater than half of the groups skiing three times for an average of over 1600 student visits per year.